If you’re struggling to make ends meet, are already receiving federal assistance for food or medical care, then you can also apply for help paying your rent. There are many state run agencies, as well as federal agencies, that are designed to assist those that are about to be thrown out of their apartment, or whose landlord is facing foreclosure. In Florida, for example, there is the EFAHP program. The first step is to contact your local and state agencies for Section 8 housing assistance.


The next step would be to contact the federal agency for rent assistance. As part of the stimulus program that was enacted a few years ago, the federal government created a program called The Homeless Prevention & Rapid Re-Housing Program. This program frees up funding for various agencies to make sure that families stay in their homes. In many instances payment Rental


Vouchers will be issued so that families can use that voucher to choose from many participating apartment complexes in their city. The HUD (Housing and Urban Development) Department is the one that offers the vouchers, and they also have programs for rent assistance. You can access the necessary forms and read more about it.


If you live in the country and are having trouble making your payments, then the USDA Rural Development department will assist low income rural families, which is also extended to cover those who are living in the countryside who are disabled, or elderly. Likewise, if someone in your family is a veteran, then you can gain assistance from the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program. This is a particularly good program because they cover the security deposit as well (which many other programs won’t). This is available for veterans AND their families. So even if you, yourself, are not a veteran, you could be eligible because your father or mother were a veteran.


When applying for assistance, you will need to provide the following: 


· Proof of citizenship


· Proof of income (even if its low or nonexistent)


· Be current with child support


· Proof of residency (if applying for state or local assistance)


· Social Security Card


· Government Issued ID


You should know that competition for this funding is high, so many states, unfortunately, have waiting lists. So, the best strategy is to apply to all of the various resources that there are, not only Section 8 Housing Assistance, but also utilizing churches, private charities, and other assistance programs.